St John the Baptist Church, a Northwood Parish Church is situated to the east of the main Newport-Cowes road, approximately 400m south of the village, in Chawton Lane. It is a beautiful 12th century building standing in a small quiet churchyard. Although renovated by the Victorians, St John the Baptist retains many of its original features including a magnificent Norman arch over the south doorway and a fine Jacobean pulpit.
Built in 1150 the Parish Church of St John the Baptist has stood in Northwood for over 800 years and looks like every child’s drawing of how a country church should be. Over the years generations of Northwood and Cowes people have come to Church to worship God, to marry their sweetheart, to baptise their children, and for the funerals of their loved ones.
It is very easy to take this Parish Church for granted, but it’s only there because of the generosity of our forefathers. It can only survive with the support of those who live in Northwood today.
A warm welcome awaits you at Northwood Church, and there is ample car parking adjacent at the end of Chawton Lane.